Monday, June 2, 2008

Introducing........




TAYLOR PAIGE KILLIAN


05/31/08


11:03pm


7lbs 5ozs


20.5 inches




Well - the past 48 hours since my last post have been far from boring!!

Alot has happened so I'm just going to start where I left off.....


So I left off Saturday while we were waiting for the Pitocin to finally kick in so we good get the labor started. After a few more hours of "nothing" - my doctor decided it was time for her to manually break my water and go from there. I won't say too much about it except it was definitely not the most pleasant experience. ;0)


As soon as she did this (2:30pm) - I started feeling EVERY contraction unlike the hours before so trust me in that I was BEGGING for the epidural! It took a little bit of time for my new best friend to make it into the room but once he finally did - I felt like a whole new person (3:30).


At this point I thought that we had finally gotten this party started and that I would be pushing in no time. Boy was I wrong!! It was almost 4 hours later (7:20pm) when I pushed for the first time. Now - I'm going to back up about 10 minutes to tell you what a saint Ben is! We were sitting in our room with just a nurse and she started to describe how the process would go. She got to the point of "I'll hold this leg and Daddy - you'll hold this one while Mommy gives us 3 good pushes per contraction"! The look on his face was priceless as he didn't know that he was going to be THAT involved. HA! He did a great job and I wouldn't have been able to do any of this without him. Anyway - on to the pushing. We - wait - I - pushed and pushed for the next two hours. My doctor was running back and forth between 3 labors but she was able to spend a good amount of time with me each visit. At about 9:15pm she tells my nurse that she needs to see her outside. I found out 10 minutes later that she had told my nurse that she was only giving me another hour from that point to push or she was taking me in for a c section. HUH!? WHAT!? DEAR CRAZY!! Well - I didn't get anywhere near that hour as she was back 10 minutes from then telling me she had called her assistant and the OR was prepped for me. She explained that the babys head had been in the same spot for almost 40 minutes and she wasn't coming down anymore - basically - she just wasn't going to fit through the birth canal. Bet you can't guess what she was calling her! YEP - BIG!! She was guessing 8 - 8 1/2 pounds just like the other doc in the practice.


So it's about 10:30pm and I'm being rolled out of my room and into the OR. It took a little bit of time to get everything set up and more drugs into my system. Seriously - gotta love the drug god! He definitely became my new BFF for the day. Ben was obviously able to come into the OR and sit with me. Thank goodness - I was a "little" nervous at this point and wanted nothing more than for him to just hold my arm while I was 1/2 conscious reminding me that it was almost over and we were going to meet our daughter soon. It was a quick process and I've never been so excited to hear the sound of a baby crying. Our daughter was here! The docs took her to the other side of the room to clean her up and weigh & measure. The let Ben go over to take pics and then hold her. The nurse brought her over to me and layed her on my chest so I was able to get a good look at her before I was wheeled into recovery. Ben was able to take her out to the waiting room to meet her new friends and family. It was late and everyone had been troopers sitting around for hours - I think getting to hold her was worth the wait!
I was in recovery for about an hour and then I was brought up to my new room. The friends and family were able to come upstairs just for a few minutes to say goodnight to me and shortly afterwards baby Taylor was brought in for a little bonding time with mama. She was asleep but we still had a good time. ;) They took her back to the nursery as they wanted me to try to get some sleep. I slept alright considering all of the excitement and the nurse coming in to check my temp and BP every hour!
Taylor was brought to us bright and early in the morning yesterday for a feeding and hanging out with mom and dad. We had my parents here around 11am and they were able to hold her and tell her stories about me when I was less than 24 hours old as well. Dear Crazy! We had a little break after that and Ben was the big winner winner and got to change the first "poopy" diaper. My legs were still numb as the epidural had only been taken out about and hour and a half before. This was insanely entertaining to me and Ben will tell you the exact opposite for himself. Let's just say -Taylor didn't make the first time easy on him. HAHAHAHA! :) Heather and Melissa came by next. Heather didn't like the yellow hat they had put Taylor in and she knew I had a pink one in my bag so we decided to change it. This is when we noticed that she had a strange spot on her head that was red all around. We got the nurse in here to take a look and it was good timing as the doctor had just called for her to do her daily assessment. They took her away for a while and this was right before more friends and Ben's parents showed up. The doctor and nurse rolled her back in a while later and kicked everyone out so they could talk to Ben and I. They explained that they didn't know what the spot was but they were taking her to the NICU to get a sample to send for a culture and then they were going to hook her up to an IV for antibiotics. They weren't as concerned about the spot as they were the redness around it since it just screamed "Infection" and they weren't sure if it had spread anywhere. They explained that they were going to draw blood for a number of test Needless to say - this threw me into a panic and all I could do to calm my nerves was fall asleep! Once everyone left Ben got me into a wheelchair (have I mentioned that I can't walk too much at this point - the pain of my incision is quite uncomfortable - even with all of the percocet) and rolled me over to the NICU. This was one of the most traumatizing experiences - I can't begin to describe it. Seeing our baby hooked up to the monitors with beeping going on all around us - I had to have Ben bring me back to the room to calm down once the nurse was done talking to us. The nurse explained that all of her blood tests came back perfectly normal so there was no worry of infection. The culture of the spot on her head would take up to 48 hours to get back so she would have to stay in the NICU until the results came back. We were able to go back later in the night to scrub in and feed her - this trip was much easier for me as she wasn't hooked up to everything. We spent a good hour in there feeding and talking to her which was really nice for both of us.
This morning definitely started off a lot better than yesterday ended. I woke up and called the NICU and was told to come by in an hour and we could feed her. About a 1/2 hour later there was a knock on our door and one of the nurses had brought her to us for the feeding. It was so nice to have her in our private room and as of now - we still have her with us 6 hours later!! She looks great and seems so happy - it's been a great day!! :0) My mom and Ben's parents, and Greg have all stopped by so far today. I'm getting ready to take a nap before the next round of visitors later on today.
Thanks to everyone for all of the calls and text messages checking in on us. I wish we could have updated you all sooner but yesterday was/is still a blur.
I'll update the blog again as soon as we know what is going on and when we'll be able to go home.
Here is the link to the first set of pics on Snapfish.
You can email me at kdadiani@comcast.net if the link doesn't work for you.

1 comment:

Missy said...

CONGRATULATIONS GUYS!!!!!! She's beautiful!!!